Tell Me What You Think...

... of my review, AND of the movie I reviewed.

So???? - Do you think I'm spot on with my review or do you think I'm way off base? Let me know by checking "You are correct, sir" or "You are an idiot."

You can also give the movie a 'star' rating. Let me know how you thought of the film by rating it yourself! Just give a 1,2,3,4, or 5 star review. As always, feel free to leave your mark in the comments for each entry.

Tell the world about my site! You can now link to any of my review by choosing one of the social media buttons at the bottom of each post!

You Don't Mess with the Zohan

No.

Where to begin... well, I guess I'll start off by saying that it's a rare thing to find a movie with the intention of making you laugh that doesn't make you chuckle at least one time. Yes, there have been a few, but this is not one of them. I did laugh at least once during You Don't Mess with the Zohan. Unfortunately for Adam Sandler, with movies like Borat and Superbad, movies that are so cleverly written and acted that you don't even realize something is a joke until three jokes later, it just simply isn't enough anymore. These are jokes for 10 year olds.

Try this experiment: pick a stereotype... any stereotype; smart/musically inclined Chinese people who can't drive, drunk Irish people throwing potatoes at each other during a bar brawl, Hispanic landscapers waiting outside the local Home Depot for a job, or gun-wielding gang bangers dancing at each other. Pick one and repeat it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over... for two hours. TWO HOURS!!!! I just want to be perfectly clear... I love stereotypes. Used in the right context and in a clever way, they can be hysterical. But in the wrong context and just repeated with absolutely no deviation, they can be offensive to people that don't even fit the stereotype.

What's worse, and I've done absolutely NO research on this, is that the stereotypes in Zohan aren't even accurate. I may sound ignorant here, but I sat through You Don't Mess with the Zohan, so go fuck yourselves if I'm wrong, but aren't hummus and gyros Greek food? They use hummus as a running gag throughout the movie... "they love hummus so much that they use it for EVERYTHING and the eat it anyway they can!!!" Goddamn it, we get it... and speaking of God...

Maybe "the Sandman" (ugh) and his friends should get together and have a screening of this movie with Israeli and Palestinian leaders. If they see both sides living together without hate as they do in his movie, maybe Adam Sandler can end some of the conflict in the Middle East. Forget the "holy land"... build a mall on it. Then all middle easterners can realize their dreams of owning small businesses such as hair salons, shoe stores and electronics boutiques.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that You Don't Mess with the Zohan is the most presumptuous, immature, embarrassing mess I've seen in a long, long time.

No comments: