Tell Me What You Think...

... of my review, AND of the movie I reviewed.

So???? - Do you think I'm spot on with my review or do you think I'm way off base? Let me know by checking "You are correct, sir" or "You are an idiot."

You can also give the movie a 'star' rating. Let me know how you thought of the film by rating it yourself! Just give a 1,2,3,4, or 5 star review. As always, feel free to leave your mark in the comments for each entry.

Tell the world about my site! You can now link to any of my review by choosing one of the social media buttons at the bottom of each post!

Redbelt

Yes.

Redbelt was released in theatres on 5/9/08 and on DVD and Blu-ray on 8/26/08.

"Redbelt" is the story of Mike Terry (Chewitel Ejiofor), a Jiu-jitsu master who has avoided the prize fighting circuit, choosing to instead pursue an honorable life by operating a self defense studio with a samaurai's code.

Terry and his wife Sondra (Alice Braga) struggle to keep the business running to make ends meet. An accident on a dark, rainy night at the Academy between an off duty officer (Max Martini) and a distraught lawyer (Emily Mortimer) puts in motion a series of events that will change Terry's life dramatically introducing him to a world of promoters (Ricky Jay, Joe Mantegna) and movie stars (Tim Allen). Faced with this, in order to pay off his debts and regain his honor, Terry must step into the ring for the first time in his life.

I really enjoyed Redbelt. When I saw the trailer for it my reaction was, "What was that?" It seemed to have little or no plot. It was just a bunch of supporting actors speaking softly to each other. Having seen the movie, I can now imagine what the trailer should have been and it's unfortunate that they weren't more creative with it. Something that I remember specifically about The Sopranos was that there was always a lot more action and suspense in the "scenes from next weeks episode" than there actually was in next weeks episode. Redbelt is the opposite. There isn't an overwhelming amount of action, in fact there is very little, but the trailer didn't even imply that Redbelt had a plot. The plot, as it happens, is a tremendous amount of set up, but it all pays off at the end... to an extent.

After that stirring recommendation, i still feel the need to add that my one complaint about the movie is that the end could have been more clear if they had added two or three more lines of dialogue in the middle of the movie... or maybe they were there and I just missed them.

You should rent Redbelt, it's an enjoyable film that had an unfortunate trailer and a ridiculous release date.

No comments: