Tell Me What You Think...

... of my review, AND of the movie I reviewed.

So???? - Do you think I'm spot on with my review or do you think I'm way off base? Let me know by checking "You are correct, sir" or "You are an idiot."

You can also give the movie a 'star' rating. Let me know how you thought of the film by rating it yourself! Just give a 1,2,3,4, or 5 star review. As always, feel free to leave your mark in the comments for each entry.

Tell the world about my site! You can now link to any of my review by choosing one of the social media buttons at the bottom of each post!

Gnomeo & Juliet

No.

This 84 minute movie is about an hour too long. I'd like to know what the thought process was leading up to the production of Gnomeo and Juliet. This concept is unoriginal, the title is NOT clever, the animation is pretty awful, and the inclusion of an entirely Elton John based score/soundtrack is pretty random and a strange decision. If they had included original Elton John songs, it might have been tolerable, but the whole movie is Rocket Man and Your Song and the score is, seemingly, a deliberate rip off of the score from Moulin Rouge!


At no point was I able to suspend disbelief enough to buy into this world. Why is there a laser security system in the red gnomes' yard? Was it put there by the homeowner? What are the legal ramifications of decapitating a child with a laser security system in your back yard if the kid loses a ball over the fence? Where are all of the bloody squirrel corpses?

Romeo and Juliet is a tragic love story. I honestly don't care if I give away the ending of Gnomeo and Juliet because I don't believe you should go see it anyway. If you're going to retell a classic tale, do it. You don't sugar coat Shakespeare. I probably sound snobbish, but I really don't care. I am not a Shakespeare scholar and I wouldn't even call myself a Shakespeare fan. I do, however, respect the work and would never bank on it's popularity in order to make a quick buck, and then change the whole story. No one dies in Gnomeo and Juliet. Gnomeo and Juliet has a happy ending. That has to be one of the most ridiculous, disrespectful ideas that has hit the screen as a G rated film. I'm really not surprised that Disney released this under the Touchstone banner; to rake in millions of dollars on a terrible product and not really be associated with it is sort of brilliant. The folks over at Disney are evil masterminds.

Do not take your kids to see Gnomeo and Juliet. Introduce them to Romeo and Juliet instead.

No comments: