Tell Me What You Think...

... of my review, AND of the movie I reviewed.

So???? - Do you think I'm spot on with my review or do you think I'm way off base? Let me know by checking "You are correct, sir" or "You are an idiot."

You can also give the movie a 'star' rating. Let me know how you thought of the film by rating it yourself! Just give a 1,2,3,4, or 5 star review. As always, feel free to leave your mark in the comments for each entry.

Tell the world about my site! You can now link to any of my review by choosing one of the social media buttons at the bottom of each post!

Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

The animation is flawless, the voice acting is spot-on and the G-rated humor is very funny. Try to keep in mind, however, that I went in with VERY low expectations. Did Horton have it's flaws... sure. Off the top of my head I can name 3:

1. It was too long... not by much, but it almost became tedious. I was wondering how they were going to stretch the book into a 1 hour and 45 minute movie, and it seems they found a way. I'm sure they could have left 20 or so minutes on the cutting room floor and the movie would have held up fine.

2. REO Speedwagon. I have a problem when anyone breaks out into song in a movie for absolutely no reason (with the exception of musicals and Magnolia). But if you're gonna do it, at least pick a song with some significance to the story. (After re-reading this paragraph I felt it was important to tell you that I would be concerned if someone broke out into song for absolutely no reason, not in a movie, as well.)

3. The underlying theme. I haven't read Horton Hears a Who in quite some time. I was always under the impression that it was about respect; "a person is a person, no matter how small". I don't recall a religious theme at all, but maybe I was just ignorant to it at the time. It was blatant in the movie, though. Believing in a "giant invisible elephant in the sky" and having faith in that "elephant" even if he doesn't seem to be addressing your specific concerns. They reversed it as well. Horton was clearly being persecuted as an iconoclast by an angry mob of non-believers who didn't want Horton tainting the common doctrine "... if you can't see it, hear it or feel it, then it doesn't exist". I guess that's not really a "flaw". I just hate when movies are too didactic and unfortunately this movie has a touch of preachiness.

That being said, the voice cast is amazing with Jim Carrey, Steve Carell, Carol Burnett, Amy Poehler, Will Arnett, Seth Rogen, Isla Fisher, Jaime Pressly, and Jonah Hill. Plus, the animation was absolute eye candy and the screenplay is tight and witty. Go see Horton Hears a Who.

No comments: